Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Talk about self-control.

At least, when it comes to food.

Last week, I was proudly "promoting" this cleansing diet I got from my Sunday School family to my officemates. Being equally concerned about health and wellness as I am, Ms. Lyn and Ms. Cris immediately said yes, they were very much willing to give it a try. After all, it's just a simple routine: eat and drink all the apples you can for five days; plus on the fifth day, drink olive oil too (yes, I know that's yucky). If you can live on apples on all five days, that's great; but if not, one meal is okay, then just eat apples for the remainder of the day. By the end of the regimen, you would have expelled all the gall and kidney stones stuck inside your body over the years out of gorging on kare-kare, bagoong, isaw, and other salty dishes. Piece of cake, isn't it?

I think not.

On our first day, we were ready for battle. We each had a big, red Fuji apple in our lunch bags. I skipped breakfast as I am not really a breakfast person, but I ate my viand for lunch, minus the rice. Then I snacked on my apple. Ms. Lyn and Ms. Cris did the opposite: they ate a hearty breakfast, then munched on those red delights for the entire day.

By our second day, we were already complaining silently. I was getting bleary-eyed and a bit dizzy trying to ward off my coffee cravings all afternoon. Iced tea was great, but I felt guilty afterwards as it contained preservatives. Ms. Cris offered me papaya, and I gladly sampled her baon. Ms. Lyn brought out an apple, and ate slowly so as not to feel any need to get up, go to the canteen, and buy something else.

When day three came, I wasn't prepared for temptation. I made the huge mistake of lingering too long in the canteen. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bar of chocolate, bought it, and happily stashed away my "cheat treat" which I planned to eat when no one's looking. Unfortunately, Ms. Cris saw me and so, good bye to my Safari bar for now.

Week end was a total disaster. Ms. Lyn had just transferred to her new home, and so with the house warming comes a simple salo-salo consisting of barbeque, wine and yes, you guessed it right: other salty food. Mine was even worse. Kuya treated me with this super delectable burger from Burger King on a Saturday midnight. Then on Sunday after worship, I happily chomped on my afternoon cholesterol: roast beef, laing and mixed veggies. With white rice at that. By Sunday evening, I almost cried in defeat trying to say no to a slice of S'mores cake from Red Ribbon. Yes, shame on me. I gave in.

When Monday rolled, we were all making fun of each other and trying not to "fine" one another for all the violations we committed. Before getting into this diet, we three even "signed" this contract that we were supposed to strictly follow the five-day cleansing diet plan, capped with a "weigh-in" at the clinic to really check if we would lose some pounds (and hopefully, inches) in the process.

Guess what? I lost nary a kilogram. So did my officemates.

As the first day of this week passed us by, we were already smiling "knowing looks" at each other, especially when during the meeting, our boss gave out palabok for merienda. This afternoon, during the academic exhibit inauguration, we were trying to pretend we didn't see the other eating pan de coco and juice generously being served during the short program.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

Self-control can go hang sometimes :0)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. When you decide to do one thing, the world conspires to make you do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete