Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Japanese for A Day


with my close friend/classmate Edward of Torres HS


experiencing authentic Japanese tea ceremony


healthy green tea from Japan


making onigiri or rice cakes


Remember my previous post?  I believe I'm turning Japanese!  Hehehe.  

It's been ten months since I first went back to the classroom set-up and taught Japanese language and culture.  Yes, I know.  What is an English major like me doing in a Japanese language and culture class?  It all started in 2007 when The Japan Foundation Manila decided to conduct a Nihongo Caravan in our school.  It's a variety show combining Japanese language and culture meant to generate interest in all things Japanese with the aim of encouraging students to take Japanese as an elective for the incoming school year.

So when classes opened in 2008, I offered Japanese language and culture as a club in our school.  However, the program was a bit disappointing since attendance waned.  Students were constantly busy with their academic pursuits, and since a club isn't a graded activity, naturally the attendance wasn't given much priority by the students.

I was discouraged.  But then God had other plans.  Last summer, my school sent me to JFM for a fresh round of training.  This time, we decided to offer Japanese language and culture as an elective.  It was graded, and so none of my students would absent themselves from the class, lest they miss out on some of the best things happening in this side of Pasig.  

How time flies!  One moment I recall walking into the classroom and introducing myself in Japanese, and now, we just ended our own version of the Nihongo Caravan in our school (which by the way, I'm still having last song syndrome hahahaha).  Teaching this year had been so wonderful for me.  It was fun, and I always looked forward to Thursdays and Fridays to see my Japanese counterpart, Ms. Mayu Suzuki, my Filipina co-teacher, Ms. Lyn, and my class (naks!), I-Pythagoras.  There's just too many things to talk about and to explore on, and it's always exciting to share cultures and understanding between different languages and races.

Over-all, I had pretty good memories with Pythagoras.  And now that the School Year is about to end, I kinda miss my Thursday-Friday routine.  I wish I could repeat June again, and relive some of the most precious times I spent with the class, Ms. Mayu and Ms. Lyn.  

I'll let the pictures and videos re-tell my memorable moments with my CJH class this 2009-2010.


getting certified by none other than the top honcho of JFM, Mr. Ben Suzuki


chance pic of my Japanese quiz bee team and some models for Japanese street fashion


posing with the class and Ms. Mai Nakamoto, one of the Japanese senseis


learning to write in Katakana


Japanese-related art


read their names (hehehe, in Katakana!)


I call these girls the Cherry blosson ladies hehehe


a pose before the show


happy feet in Japanese sandals


the cute obi fashioned the Japanese way


Ms. Mai Nakamoto with Francis (in crazy hairdo), Eloi and Ali


Japanese exhibit


some Japanese stuff on display


my boys resting awhile


Yeba!  Curtain call!  We made it!





And here's their final dance number for the show, the Yosakoi Sooran or fishermen's dance.

Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment